Link Name 2:
Link Name 3:
Link Name 4:
Link Name 5:

File list
File Name 1:
File Name 2:

Total messages: 3
Difference between New Authority and authori...
kerstin
11:32 10.03.2011
Hello everybody!!

I was wondering what the relationship is between the New Authority and an authoritative parenting style.

Lot's of greetings,

Kerstin
authoritative new authority
michal1
12:43 10.03.2011
Hi Kerstin,
well, as best as i can recall, the authoratative parenting style is one of four (the others being authoritarian, permissive, and neglectful). And they are broad catagories of parenting. Is that what you are referring to? If so, that way i see it, the new authority can be seen as an authoratative parenting style in that it puts emphasis both on bondaries and demands but also on diaologue and support. There is room for the child autonomy but only as such that the child doesn't hurt him/herself or his/her enviornment. The problem with authoratative parenting is that it is such a broad description that i think it is of little help to parents or practionars. We know we don't want to be authoritarian, or permissive or neglectful, but how the heck do we become authoratative? i think that the new authority takes this style of parenting and makes it a) specific, giving guideliness and tools and b) empowering, in that while the goal may be still child-centered, the actions and approach are parent-centered.
Anyway, thats how i see it but i would love to hear what others have to say about this.
michal
authoritative new authority
Alex9
20:38 10.08.2011
The question reminded me of a conversation i had with a man who is in recovery from alcohol misuse. When he first became sober he tried to assert his authority upon his children, the more he did this the more defiant they became. For him NVR came as a blessing. A way to become authoritative without becoming authoritarian. A way to become present in his children's lives without dominating. I agree with Michel that the words become a bit tricky here, the word authority has such negative connotations that my first reaction to the title of the new book was not to like it at all. Yet there is often a need for authority in several areas of our lives, but this authority need not be dominating & controlling, it can be open and loving
What do you Kerstin and others think?
Alex
Legend:   Guest Guest    Member Member    Activist Activist    NAC Team NAC Team    Forum Couns Forum Couns    Main message Main message    Replied Replied    Not replied Not replied