File list
File Name 1:
File Name 2:

Total messages: 2
NVR, NA and LSCI?
Annelies
12:07 05.02.2011
Hi everybody,
I got a question on how LSCI (Life Space Crisis intervention) and NVR are situated to one another.
Since I don't know that much about LSCI, I post this message on this forum and am already very curious to get some responses!
thx in advance and lots of greetings,
Annelies
NA-LSCI-NVR
ulla
12:23 05.09.2011
Hello Annelies,

Since in ter Wende we followed a few days of LSCI training some years ago, the question that you're posing was on my mind too. I don't know the correct answer and I don't know how my collegues of TW feel about it, bit this is my intuïtive respons.
LSCI is a part of vigilant care. I think situated on the second level, or on the third. I think it is the stap before NVR, before the one sided steps. It is the part where you are still trying to understand the behaviour, trying to see the pattern, trying to help the kid see it too. If it helps: fine. If it doesn't help: time for NVR : ) Or it can be used together with NVR: we don't do a sit in to have a long talk, but maybe sometimes, we get there some way or another. One intervention of LSCI is for kids with no feeling of guilt, they think there right doing what there doing (steeling, beating someone up, yelling...) I think LSCI is not enough for those tipe of situations: this is were NVR comes in very handy! To resist, and to keep resisting, instead of keep talking (LSCI style)
For me the LSCI feeling is softer, more about helping the kid, beeing next to him, trying to give him insights to change his behaviour etc... He's accepting your authority and help. But when he's not accepting: there's NVR. NVR is more about resisting behaviour, it gives me a stricter feel, opposed to him instead of next.
LSCI is giving the kids new tools to deal with a situation, to very rigorously analyze a situations and see what we can do better next time. Sometimes a kid just needs to know that slapping a back to say hello is not really nice, so this is maybe why another kid doesn't like him. So he has to learn to wave goodbay or shake hands. (Sorry for the simple example). Just resisting the beaviour would be... Hard? Because we don't give an alternative. We don't need to resist if the kid is willing to take our advice.

I think LSCI is everything we try before we say: time for NVR! Or we're doing it at the same time: f.e. helping a kid deal with aggression and at the same time resisting. But splitting it up seems unnatural sometimes: it is like having a conversation about what to do when you're feeling angry and the next time entering a room and keeping quit. Wy the sudden change? Is it a problem then to 'NVR' new kids in our facility? Because we first want to talk to them, give them tools, do everything what we're used to do before writing the announcement and doing sit ins? I think somehow we can bring it together but don't know how yet... Maybe experimenting more with NVR will solve this problem...

Is this a little bit clear? Or does this raise some other questions?

Bye bye,
Ulla
Legend:   Guest Guest    Member Member    Activist Activist    NAC Team NAC Team    Forum Couns Forum Couns    Main message Main message    Replied Replied    Not replied Not replied