Link Name 2:
Link Name 3:
Link Name 4:
Link Name 5:

File list
File Name 1:
File Name 2:

Total messages: 3
Is 'measuring' having a therapeutic effect?
Annelies
17:51 03.07.2011
Hi,
I wanted to ask someting about the therapeutic effect of measuring instruments in the Schneiders hospital.
I heard many lecturers talking about questionnaires to measure differences before and after the treatment. I was wondering if these instruments could be of an extra value in therapeutic terms?
Also because it seems to be hard to convince parents of the successfull side of an announcement or a sit in.
Could a measuring instrument help parents or educators to see progress even if very little?
I am inspired by the work of Scott Miller and am curious to read about the idea of your team,
thanks in advance,
Annelies
measuring
Eli Lebowitz
23:28 03.10.2011
That is an excellent question:
The concept of measuring as a therapeutic technique has been of interest to a number of thinkers. Measuring can have a number of useful impacts:
1. It helps to prioritize and focus the issues that demand the most attention.
2. As you mentioned it allow both therapist and patient to see progress (or not) and offer a quantifiable measure of change, which in turn can create hope and motivation.
3. It can create a "distance from the problem" - the possibility to see myself as distinct from the issues which I am looking at measuring.
In CBT measuring things such as distress and anxiety are extremely well used to allow the patient to achieve a sense of control.
While we do not explicitly use measuring as an intervention I think these factors are often at play in our work.
Eli
Welcome Dr. Eli Lebowitz !!!
Idan Amiel
12:43 03.11.2011
As I mentioned in the opening speech of the training Eli could not participate in the training since he is now involved in research concerning his post-doctorate at Yale University. Although I still think it was a mistake to leave Israel and our team in order to join an unfamiliar and esoteric place like Yale we know we can't control his acts… From an NVR perspective Elis' involvement in this forum will serve for us as a reparation act for his betrayal ;-)

More than that as well as I'm sure that the training could be much better if Eli was there, I'm sure all the team will agree that this forum will be significantly better with Elis' contributions in it.

So – welcome Eli!
Idan
Legend:   Guest Guest    Member Member    Activist Activist    NAC Team NAC Team    Forum Couns Forum Couns    Main message Main message    Replied Replied    Not replied Not replied