File list
File Name 1:
File Name 2:

Total messages: 2
A question about the article
Jan Müller
22:34 08.21.2012
Dear Yael,
I think it's a very interesting article and I was impressed that you are working at an Israeli hospital also with people from Arab countries.I was wondering if you make some adaptations in the treatment model when there are differences in culture and religion.
thank you,
Jan
An answer
Yael_Naim
11:41 08.27.2012
Thank you Jan, I'm glad you enjoyed the article.

As for working with different population, it’s true that Schneider the hospital prides itself on caring for patients from all over the Middle East, however, most of the patients from other countries do not necessarily seek help in the psychological unit - after all language is a barrier in our practice. At the parent counseling unit we have experience working with Israel's diverse population (including Arabs, Russian immigrants, and so forth). There are no specific formal adaptations for working with different populations but rather each therapist tries to incorporate their clinical knowledge to create a unique approach for each family. I have to say, however, that in our experience working with individuals from an Arab culture (as well as with Jewish orthodox culture) much of the New Authority approach has been well received. The more traditional cultures often make use of family support networks and as such, may have an easier time incorporating some of our tools. In short, in answer to your questions, we often make adaptations (in terms of the pace of the counseling, or in terms of emphasis) but they are at this point based mostly a case by case approach.
Thanks again, Yael
Legend:   Guest Guest    Member Member    Activist Activist    NAC Team NAC Team    Forum Couns Forum Couns    Main message Main message    Replied Replied    Not replied Not replied